Tee shirt craft using freezer paper; Weekly Kids Co-op

I have had this MASSIVE role of freezer paper on the shelf of my art studio for probably more than a year...untouched, and waiting, waiting, waiting to be used. (Note: you can find freezer paper in big supermarkets alongside the wax paper, parchment paper, etc. - this is what it looks like in case you don't know and are curious).

I have wanted to explore freezer paper stenciling on a tee shirt ever since reading about it in Deb Soule's book, The Creative Family. The Creative Family is by far one of my favorite family activity books, and I highly recommend it to anybody who loves to craft with their children. Also be sure to check out Deb's inspirational blog, Soule Mama, which is full of beautiful photography as well as project ideas. 

Anyway, being that it was the 4th of July yesterday, and my son didn't have any festive tees to wear representing the day, I decided it was the perfect time to bust out the freezer paper and give this craft a whirl.


Using photoshop, I created the above star design for the shirt.


I then printed it out and laid the sheet over a piece of freezer paper cut to the same size. I placed these both on a cutting mat board and started cutting through both layers with my X-acto knife. *Note: the waxy side is the side that will eventually be ironed down onto the tee shirt. You want this to be facing down when cutting the design out, in general. Obviously for my star template it didn't matter which side was up or down.


After the stars are all cut out, I ironed down the paper (wax side down) onto a tee shirt. I made sure that the paper was completely adhered to the fabric before moving on to the next step.


Using a stencil brush, my son tapped (or "stippled") blue and red acrylic paint onto the cut-out shapes.


He worked meticulously on filling each star.


When all the stars were covered thoroughly with paint, we peeled the paper off. It was quite easy! I was sooo impressed with how easy this paper was to use, AND I ended up loving the result!


We were careful to not fold the shirt and lay it flat until the paint was dry.


How do you like it? My son was proud that he had a hand in its creation, and I think he looked perfect for the part of a 4th of July Festival goer!

Thanks for coming by and checking this out. Remember to "like" me on my Facebook Page if you want to stay informed of more kid craft ideas I post or find around the blogosphere! Have a wonderful day.

And now for our weekly linky party! I am linking up this freezer paper post, and my fireworks painting post. Enjoy!

The Weekly Kid's Co-op


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh.. so fun, creative and festive! LOVE this idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! Using stencils on t-shirts is so fun for the little ones. We used contact paper for ours instead of freezer paper. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shirt, gotta love freezer paper! I have a bunch of rolls that I picked up in the US, and gotta get back to using them up! Thanks so much for sharing on craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I dot think we get freezer paper in the UK. It looks great though.
    Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shirt! Thanks for sharing on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land...hope to see you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. So fun to design your own t-shirts!

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for a t shirt! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments! Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think!